Formatting HD under XP pro

rhayman 18:31 06 Apr 03

I have Xp proffesional and i want to format my HD. i do this every now and again because my computer gets really slugish and defrag doesent make a difference.

I used to format my HD by booting Win 98 SE disc and then typing "format c:" in command promt, and then it was very easy to reinstall XP and my pc would run 3 times quicker.

recently i gave my win 98 cd away, and i cannot format my c:, i tried downloading a win98 boot disk and it didnt work. the only thing i could do was to boot the xp cd when i was already logged on in windows XP, and intall a fresh copy . this left LOADS of crap on my hard drive. is there a way around this without getting the win98 cd back.

-pops- 18:35 06 Apr 03

Assuming that your computer can boot from CD, put the XP disk in the drive then boot up. you will be given several options, one is to install Windows XP.

Make sure you have copies/backups of everything you want to keep, though.

Brian

rhayman 18:38 06 Apr 03

I know thats what i rtied this last time but it didnt give me an option to format, just intall over the precious version which leavs loads of crap on the HD.

-pops- 18:42 06 Apr 03

Note you have to boot up with the XP disk already in the drive. Don't let your current version load.

Brian

-pops- 18:44 06 Apr 03

Missed a bit: it should reformat and then re-install a new version of XP.

Brian

spikeychris 19:27 06 Apr 03

Follow the advice from -pops-

Boot with the XP CD. When you boot with the XP CD you have a few seconds to "press any key to boot CD". Once the CD boots you will have a few moments where it installs files then it will ask if you wish to Install Windows XP or repair with Recovery Console.

Select the option to install and you will have a License Agreement presented. Press F8 to accept the agreement and you will be presented with the option to Repair your current installation of Windows or do a clean install.

Select the option for a new install and you will have the options to reformat. Format the drive and re-install.

Chris

rhayman 19:40 06 Apr 03

Thanks for the input i will give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…