Formatting a HD

Heefie 15:51 14 Sep 08

Quick question, hopefully ... I kept getting problems with Outlook & had to repeatedly run ScanPst. The Outlook data is held on a data disk, drive N: in my machine. On Friday, I suddenly couldn't access drive N: at all. I also had trouble accessing my virtual M: drive, which happens to be on the same physical disk as the N: drive.

After a couple of attempts at running ScanDisk & the associated couple of re-boots, I was able to access the drives again. I backed the data up, which worked but "with errors" according to the data, and ScanDisk ran successfully on both disks but reported no errors.

If I were to run a full format on the physical disk, would this highlight any problems and either fix them, or lock out any bad sectors of disk so I could safely use it again ?!?

€dstowe 15:55 14 Sep 08

A full format should do this for you but, I would be very concerned at any disk that behaves the same way.

I think you should be prepared to get the credit card out. One thing, though, hard drives are relatively very low cost these days.

Strawballs 17:33 14 Sep 08

As stated with the low cost of hard drives click here I would not waste time doing a clean install on that drive I would put in a new one and clean install on that.

Heefie 14:33 15 Sep 08

Thanks to you both. I have reformatted and no errors were reported at all, which I have to say, as you mentioned €dstowe, is very disconcerting !!!

Yes, long term I will look into replacing the drive, but at the moment I'm not working full time so it's not an option, though the disk is probably still under warranty, I'd be surprised if it was over 3 years old.

Have to say, since installing Vista I have had a lot of problems, SATA drives not being recognised, external drives not being recognised, LogMeIn connections, complete Freeze-Ups of the machine ... not to mention trying to install SP1 !!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos