Formatting an HD

truane 23:42 25 Feb 06

Got a new PC and am preparing to get rid of the old one. I need to clear the HD of everything before I give the machine to a charity of send it for recycling. How can I do this? Tried formatting it, but it is, of course, still in use by Windows ME. Tried from DOS prompt, but with same effect. Short of extracting the Hd and using my sledge hammer, is there a way of destroying all the data, please?

Trevor

johnnyrocker 23:44 25 Feb 06

if you destroy all data that means removal of os which would make the machine unuseable for anyone?

johnny.

SLAYER 06:15 26 Feb 06

if you still have the original disc, why not reinstall your operating system.

bremner 09:06 26 Feb 06

An effective method if you only have access to one computer and one hard drive is:

Download eraser click here and use it to delete all your personal files etc.

Reinstall the operating system and then use eraser to delete all the unused space on the drive.

If you have another computer install eraser onto it, connect the old hard drive and use eraser to delete all the files including Windows and then erase all the unused space on the drive.

Devil Fish 10:35 26 Feb 06

To format the drive if you have the windows me cd

boot the machine go into setup set your cd drive to 1st bootable device save and exit let it run through insert the me cd reboot the machine you will see a prompt come up to boot from cd hit any key

press a key then follow the instructions this will take you through format and reinstall

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…