formatting hardrives

daz2 13:33 15 Jan 05

i have just installed a second hardrive which is second hand that i got from my dad it has windows on it and i would like to format it but every time i try it tells me it is in use and cannot continue it is installed as a slave and i am running windows xp any suggestions would be helpful

Diodorus Siculus 13:36 15 Jan 05

shut down the pc

disconnect to master drive

boot with windows cd / floppy

format drive

shutdown

reconnect master drive

Ironman556 13:38 15 Jan 05

There may be system files on it that XP has taken a liking to. You could try click here, download a bootdisk and format from there. If it's in FAT32 all you'll need is the Win 98 boot disk.

Alternatively is you have a look at the drive it will tell you the manufacturer, they may has some toold to format the drive that you can download.

Graham ® 13:38 15 Jan 05

Is the master set as Cable Select, I wonder? If that aspect is OK, maybe it's a drive letter conflict. Check the drives in Device Manager.

bremner 13:40 15 Jan 05

Or

Using Disk Management - Right Click My Computer > Manage > Disk management.

On the relevant drive right click on the right hand side of the entry and choose to delete the partion.

When this is done right click again and choose to make partition, follow through the prompts choosing which format you want NTFS or FAT32

daz2 14:23 15 Jan 05

bremmer i tried your solution and it worked thanks for the responces everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…