Formatting Hardrive with Windows XP

loopyloo 14:54 03 Nov 03

I need to format my hard drive because my machine is not running correctly. How do you format the hard drive with Windows XP installed on., and can you only format the C drive or do I have to do all the others.

paradiddle1984 15:07 03 Nov 03

hi, you should have some kind of restore disk that you get when you purchased yuor pc??

This will take you through the whole restore process. Just ensure that you have backed up any valuable data beforehand :)

spikeychris 15:20 03 Nov 03

Do you have a full installation disk? if so you can format what you want, you don't have to format all the drives or partitions..

Set the BIOS to boot from CD. When the machine kicks up and you see the "press any key to boot"...

"press any key to boot CD". Once the CD boots you have an option to Install Windows XP or repair with Recovery Console. Select the option to install and you will have a License Agreement presented. Press F8 to accept the agreement and you will be presented with the option to Repair your current install of Windows or do a clean install. Select the option for a new install and you will have the options to reformat.

It'll ask, as its copying files to use during installation to press F6 if you need to install SCSI or Raid drivers at the bottom of the screen ignore them. You'll come to a screen that'll ask you where you want to install WinXP and as you continue you'll be asked if you want to format the drive. (There's an option for Quick Format but I would do the Full Format) and I would also tell it to Format using NTFS.

Format whatever installations and drives you want and install Windows back to the primary drive.

loopyloo 15:37 03 Nov 03

How do you set gt to the BIOS in Windows XP.

spikeychris 15:45 03 Nov 03

Irrespective of what O/S, whilst your machine is booting look for hit "whatever" to enter startup. It will be something like Esc or Del or F1.

Try all three at the same time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…