formatting harddrive with preinstalled winxp

Optimo 20:19 20 May 04

Can anybody help me please, is there a way i can format my harddrives without taking my laptop to a shop for them to put winxp back on (£££).
my laptop came without a windows disk and im unsure what to do.
im sorry i wont be able to reply as im about to go to work and wont be home until 07:30.

Thanks in advance.

Optimo 20:26 20 May 04

should i just right click on C and click format?

Marios 20:47 20 May 04

No insulting, but if you are a beginner you will need someone with time to take you through it.
Apparently, there is an article in Microsoft Knowledge Base, number 303661 which explains more (i have not used it myself).
What i do is have a Startup disk (floppy) WITH 'format' command program, go to BIOS and ask the pc to boot up with floppy. select 'start without cd rom support'. I then format the hard drive and at the end go back to bios, change settings to start pc from cd rom which will now have the Windows XP and it loads. WARNING: not to scare you but there are too many other little things too that could trouble you. i have used PC Advisor pay £1.50 per minute phone support once and though good, you still need to either be quite confident or pay a lot of money on the phone trying to get all the needed detail.
Sorry if i am putting you off, i have gone through it at least 7 or 8 times before, like an idiot, i realised there was a feature such as System Restore (another story).

Charence 21:12 20 May 04

You cannot format C by doing that because you are still in Windows and trying to format it. You must quit Windows when you format. When your system boots, you need to have a Windows SETUP disc in CD drive or STARTUP disc in floppy.

Since you haven't got the disc, you may have to be careful because if you format C and don't have the disc, you may need to buy Windows again which will cost you a lot!!! Try contacting the company you bought it from to see if they can supply you with a disc.

Charence

Eastender 21:41 20 May 04

Why do you want to reformat? If you have problems with you PC perhaps we can sort them out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac