Formatting hard drive with no boot disc

cheechman 10:25 01 Apr 06

Not me - I'm leaving well alone!!

A friend has asked what she needs to do. She has been given an Acer aspire laptop. She wants to clear all existing files and start from scratch with just Windows XP home.

I've had a little look through previous posts but they all appear a little complicated.

stephen0205 10:39 01 Apr 06

hey well the first thing u do is have an xp disk and when the pc turns on it will say press f1 or delete to got to the bios or on a laptop usually boot options so ill wite down both

1. the boot menu u click whatever key it is and select the cd.it will run your xp disk and when it asks to install it asks u to click f8, click it and accept the next document. it will now show 2 drives it will say somin like drive c and above or underneath unpartitioned space use the scroll keyes to go to drive c and click which button is delete i think its the letter d and then to finish the job click l.then hit enter on the unpartitioned space and hit enter to install , after that it will ask u to format the drive filing system DO NOT CLICK QUICK PARTITION as it creates a small amout of the hard drive not all of it. so now this will take a while and when its done the pc will reboot and let it boot from hard drive this time so u will need to change the boot option back. after that it explains everything quite straight forward. good luck

2.right the bios it is usuallly delete but is different on most machienes so once in its like a blue screen with writing so go into advanced features and move down to first boot options and change it to cd once u have done that click escape key once and go to save and exit click y to symbolize yes when the box apperas.now it will run your xp disk and when it asks to install it asks u to click f8, click it and accept the next document. it will now show 2 drives it will say somin like drive c and above or underneath unpartitioned space use the scroll keyes to go to drive c and click which button is delete i think its the letter d and then to finish the job click l.then hit enter on the unpartitioned space and hit enter to install , after that it will ask u to format the drive filing system DO NOT CLICK QUICK PARTITION as it creates a small amout of the hard drive not all of it. so now this will take a while and when its done the pc will reboot and let it boot from hard drive this time so u will need to change the boot option back. after that it explains everything quite straight forward.

well thats all i know any problems ill talk u through it . if u had msn it would be easier to talk u through it.

VoG II 10:41 01 Apr 06
  Bagsey 11:25 01 Apr 06

^

dms05 11:41 01 Apr 06

I have a new Acer Aspire and that has the OS (XP Home) on a hidden partition on the hard disk. All you do is press f5 during the boot up process and you are offered various options by the Acer eRecovery software - including re-install XP to the factory default. It's very quick and simple.

Go to the Acer web site where you can download manual for many models.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now