formatting hard drive

busways 07:45 11 Jun 03

could any one out there please give me information on how to reformat my hard drivei am running xp

busways

keith-236785 08:47 11 Jun 03

HAVE YOU GOT A BACKUP OF ALL IMPORTANT FILES, DO YOU KNOW YOUR GRAPHIC CARD,SOUND CARD,MODEM,anything else you have. you may have to get drivers later and it helps to know exactly what hardware you have, once you format all the info is gone,

Have you got a Floppy Start-up Disk?

if not try click here

Boot up with the floppy in computer, let it boot then type at the prompt A:>

format C:

if this doesnt work try again booting your computer, if you then get a menu

1. start with cdrom support

2. start without cdrom support

etc

choose option 2, start without cdrom support, let it load then at the prompt A:>
type

D:

then type

format C:

you will get a warning about all your data will be lost, if you are sure then accept the warnings and wait,

good luck

Eagie 09:10 11 Jun 03

Some hard drive manufacturers provide software to make setting up/formatting their hard drives as painless as possible. For example I have a seagte drive so use their DiscWizard tool.

kevvyb 09:25 11 Jun 03

Busways, send me your email address and I'll send you a couple of files that were a great help to me when I did this for the fisrt time.

kevvyb 09:50 11 Jun 03

Look here: click here

I do not know if this all applies to XP. The way it is written suggests so but you might like to ask someone else. I was using it to reformat and reinstall Win98.

AndySD 10:01 11 Jun 03

If you have the XP cd then boot with it ...press R for the recovery console. At the command prompt type in

format c:

(where c is the drive you wish to format) now press Enter/Return.

If you are adding a second drive you want to format its different....post back.

Hitchhiker 10:11 11 Jun 03

Just to emphasize this point - you really need to make sure you have the right drivers ready to re-install. I did a cowboy format and two weeks later am still trying to sort out all the drivers!

abraxis 11:04 11 Jun 03

Really, just to emphasise, MAKE COPIES OF YOUR DRIVER FILES.
I still haven't managed to get my DVD player back since formatting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…