Formatting the hard drive

AJ28 21:41 28 Sep 07

Im trying to format another laptop, its running windows xp.
Ive been looking up ways of doing it but they all seem to include using the xp cd, which i dont have as we didnt get the cd with the laptop... So is there actually another way?

Strawballs 21:44 28 Sep 07

So how are you going to put the operating system back on if you don't have the CD?

AJ28 21:45 28 Sep 07

ive formatted systems before and the operating system has stayed on?

smoking44 21:45 28 Sep 07

So how are you going to re-install XP if you do format?

Devil Fish 21:57 28 Sep 07

many dont include cds have just brought an acer and had to create my own

out of curiosity why do you want to format any way if you have problems and post them someone may be able to help

AJ28 22:02 28 Sep 07

its just a mess theres not that much on it but its full of general mess and plenty of spyware and such, i could go round and delete it all manually but id no doubt miss alot

Devil Fish 22:26 28 Sep 07

Spyware removal

AVG Antispy click here

spy catcher express click here

spybot click here

reg scrub registry cleaner click here

registry internet history and general rubbish remover click here

instructions on how to defragment the system you may need to do this a couple of times click here

all the above are free to use and will give your system a good clear out and hopefully restore it to its former glory

tullie 22:52 28 Sep 07

Take the given advice and scan for spyware,you have got an anti virus programme installed?
If you reformat the drive,you will lose the lot.

woodchip 23:02 28 Sep 07

You are very good if you formatted a Partition without removing the Operating System. Three Cheers and tell me how you did it

AJ28 23:11 28 Sep 07

thanks for all the given advice
i have no idea how i managed to do it before but im pretty sure i did haha
anyway thanks again ill most likely just do all the scans

Belatucadrus 23:33 28 Sep 07

May depend on the Laptop, my Dell has all necessary files on a hidden partition and you can get it to reformat and reload the OS from the partition. At least that's what the manual says, I've never tried it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…