Formatting hard drive

bruno 12:20 03 Sep 05

My son in law has recently bought a barebones system which he got up and running alright.He thought he had partitioned the disc in two equal halves,but when he tried to instal something on drive D ,the message came that
it was not formatted.He then tried to format it using two different methods but the message stated that windows could not format it.He has xp home and NTFS.What has he overlooked?

bremner 12:22 03 Sep 05

Has he gone to Disk management and tried there.

Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management

AndySD 12:24 03 Sep 05

Right Click on My Computer and choose Manage then Disk Manager. It will show the disks there right click on the disk to get the options to format etc.

bruno 14:11 03 Sep 05

He has already tried both these methods and got the reply that windows could not format it.Thanks for the reply.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:23 03 Sep 05

has he initialised it first?

bruno 14:25 03 Sep 05

I am not sure I know what you mean.I will phone him and ask if you can explain,please.

bremner 14:26 03 Sep 05

From what has been posted the disk is partitined and there is only a problem with the D partition the C is fine. Therefore it must have been initialised.

bruno 14:28 03 Sep 05

That is correct,Bremner,C drive has been working for 6 weeks with no problems.He did not realise he had a problem until C started to get full and he went to transfer some stuff over.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:43 03 Sep 05

will put brain in gear rather than foot in mouth :0)

AndySD 14:50 03 Sep 05

Ok so I am confused ....How big is the Hard Drive

How big is the C Drive partition?

How big is the D Drive partition?

This will show in the Disk Manager or My Computer.

What letters are the CD/DVD Drives?

bruno 14:52 03 Sep 05

40 gb hard drive divided equally,called rive C and Drive D.Presumably his CD/R drive will be E.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…