Formatting Hard Drive

Dyffryn 09:28 10 Apr 05

I have just recently been infected with the Winpup32 virus. I have searched the web for a cure, but as I am now pulling my hair out I have decided to start from scratch and reformat my hard drive and reload everything. My question is - when I reformat will it remove the offending virus or will it still be lurking somewhere to get me again? Your help, as usual, would be appreciated.

Graham ® 09:41 10 Apr 05

It's not a virus, it's adware. Ad-Aware should shift it:

click here

VoG II 09:47 10 Apr 05

Or manual removal click here

Fingees 09:52 10 Apr 05

When you've removed it, I would recommend downloading Microsofts antispyware beta from their website. It works well, and it's free.

Dyffryn 10:15 10 Apr 05

Thank you for your fast response Guys. Graham - I have tried 'adaware', but when I run SpyBot afterwards the program stalls with the sam message 'Winpup32' and some writing in German! VOG - Your cure is far to technical for an OAP!My tired old brain couldn't get around all the technical jargon, sorry! Fingees - Since this problem started I can't get onto the net to try your cure and I am now getting a warning of low virtual memory. I am running Windows XP Home with SP2 and Norton Antivirus (which is regularly updated) As it is pouring with rain I think I will spend my Sunday reformatting the drive if you think this will cure all. Will this do it for me?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…