Formatting Floppy Disks

lindyloo4 18:11 30 Apr 03

I have a brand new box of unformatted floppy disks. When I try to format them my system freezes. What am I doing wrong? I put the disk in, I click on A drive (via My Computer)and it immediately freezes. No menu to select from, just a complete freeze. If I try to open one of my own floppies no problems.
I'm running Win Me and this is how Windows Help says it should be done. I've always had formatted disks before.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Linda

-pops- 18:16 30 Apr 03

To format it is usual to RIGHT click on the icon in my computer and select the option from there.

What happens when you click on any other contents of my computer?

Brian

woodchip 18:22 30 Apr 03

What is causing it to freeze, is that your computer is trying to read an unformated disc and it cannot but it keeps trying do not forget it's only a dumb machine. Do as -pop- say's right click on A and choose format

lindyloo4 18:26 30 Apr 03

I've tried right clicking. That's how I opened my own floppies to check if they were working ok and it wasn't the A drive itself. It freezes as soon as I click. I'll have another go with a disk that I haven't tried already.

Thanks

Linda

« Ravin » 18:36 30 Apr 03

how about start>run>command and then type format a:

lindyloo4 18:55 30 Apr 03

I've just had another go. Story of my life - I wasn't being patient enough. Thought the menu would appear straight away. I right clicked and waited, had a cigarette and waited, went and did the washing up and guess what - when I got back the menu was there !!!
Formatted two already only another eight to go !

Thanks to you all.

Linda

Mrs S 10:23 04 Oct 04

To bring this Dell uptodate for SP2 download, Dell say upgrade the BIOS.Downloaded the file to My Docs file but when I put a DOS formatted disc in,message reads disk formatted without /s(system) option. Use DOS Utility SYS.x.

Means nothing to me. Can you help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac