C: Windows 98 Second Edition
D: Windows XP Professional Edition
E: Storage (Largest of the 3)

Now, after i got my PC back from my friend, it had:

C: Windows 98 Second Edition
D: (Blank/Storage Partition)
E: Storage

And i proceeded to install XP on partition D:
I believe that C: would be my primary partition. But i want to format it, as 98 is not working properly and i would like Linux in its place. I have been told i cant just format C: as it could mess up the booting process, and i need to keep some files on there.
I want to format C:, could anyone tell me if the problem stated above is true, and how i can get around it.

C+D: FAT32

This screenshot should help:
click here

Peter Oconnell

zanwalk 16:02 01 Mar 03

Yes, you will have to proceed very carefully otherwise you will end up with a PC that will not boot. Firstly, backup those files you need to keep from 'C' before doing anything. Secondly, it would probably be easiest if you installed XP on your first 'C' partition, afterwards you can consider installing Linux on your second partition (hda2 in Linux terms), if it is a modern distribution of Linux, it should be a fairly straightforward install, although you will have to be careful as to where Linux wants to install to as it usually defaults to the first partition (hda1), also, unless you are using a third party boot manager like Bootmagic, make sure that the Linux bootloader (usually LILO) installs to a floppy disk and NOT to your MBR (master boot record) which is on your first partition. Failure to do this could make Windows unbootable!

FITLAD123 16:38 01 Mar 03

What are the files i need to backup from C:?

Peter oconnell

zanwalk 18:59 01 Mar 03

Sorry, I thought that you said you wanted to keep some files from C, I now realise that you had been told this! If there really isn't anything you want to keep, go ahead and install XP on C.

« Ravin » 19:15 01 Mar 03

back up any document files you might have on c drive and maybe your favorites and such.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…