Formatting external h/drive

joe95 17:41 22 Feb 05

Two problems
1) I have partitioned my new external hard drive and half way through formatting says can't complete successfully.
2) What do I do about the unallocated partition.

Diemmess 18:20 22 Feb 05

Much as I prefer to partition fixed drives, I haven't tried this with an external drive.

That said, the external drive case probably contains a well known HD and if you can find which maker, they will almost certainly have a small downloadable program which will do the job better and faster than any Windows feature.

joe95 19:07 22 Feb 05

FelixTCat 19:10 22 Feb 05

Half way through formatting what? Which partition? How big is the drive? How big are the partitions?

joe95 19:22 22 Feb 05

Sorry about that Felix, 'fools rush in and all that'
I have just installed a new external h/drive have partitione it:(G) 141.60GB healthy and the remaining is 7.45GB unallocated after I did the partition began to format then came up with error message as described before.

joe95 10:43 23 Feb 05

FelixTCat 12:21 23 Feb 05

How did you fix it, or have you gived up?

joe95 15:26 23 Feb 05

not fixed it.My computer doesn't recognise it now.
I have been having problems with drive since I bought it in Jan. from EBuyer, it's A Seagate Barracuda 160GB USB2.
a)only recognised as USB2 storage device
b)not shown in device manager
c)finally got all setup but today when I switched it wouldn't recognise but is in USB controllers as unknown storage device
I have just tried two other drives with the same results, tried all other USB ports (6)same results. My other USB gear works okay have swapped cables and ports etc,have posted quite a few times with this these problems,one gets sorted and then another crops and have gone full circle.Freaky spent quite a bit of time helping me but was stumped in the end.
Getting quite frustrated
Thanks Joe

FelixTCat 15:46 23 Feb 05

You don't say what operating system you are using, but up to XP SP1 Windows would only recognise disks up to 137 GByte.

That size sounds like Window's size limitation for hard disks. Have you tried Seagate's software for setting up the disk? click here

joe95 16:33 23 Feb 05

Thanks FelixTCat
wizard at Seagate examined my drive gave this message "the only available for the new drive isSecondary Slave with a Secondary Master CD-Rom. this position is non- std. and may cause problems with your system.
The installation instructions are for inserting into the PCtower.
There were 2 options
Discwizard for Windows 10MB d/load
Discwizard online which gave instructions for putting in tower.
so I am no wiser

FelixTCat 17:15 23 Feb 05

The wizard obviously examined your system and noted that the primary IDE port already had master and slave drives and the secondary already had a master - presumably that's why you wanted a USB drive.

I found this description of DiskWizard: "The software's increased artificial intelligence now recognizes a vast array of hardware configurations, and provides specific feedback to users whose systems may have external storage devices, drives with hidden partitions, missing host adapters and other non-standard situations" I thought that would cover USB - are you saying it doesn't?

Did you run the wizard with the drive attached? If not, try that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…