Formatting external hard disk

Newuser1783 18:01 30 Jan 04

I recently purchased a LaCie 120Gb external hard drive but have been unable to format the disk.

I am using Windows XP Home edition and used the Disk Management facility found in Control Panel/Admin Tools/Computer Management to format the disk in NTFS file system.

I have tried to format the disk 3 times as a single partition. This took well over an hour each time, only to be met with a message at the end of the formatting cycles: "The format did not complete successfully." The indicator lamp on the external disk flashes whilst the formatting is supposedly proceeding.

The partitioning appears to have been successful, as the disk is shown in the right-hand pane of the Disk Management window, and the status is shown as "Healthy". The drive letter allocated is also shown.

My existing hard disk "C" drive is FAT 32 file system; does that make any difference?

Unable to get any help from the manufacturer.

AubreyS 18:06 30 Jan 04

What happens if you go into My Computer, right click and select Format?

SEASHANTY 19:51 30 Jan 04

Not conversant with the LaCie external Hard disk but the info for partitioning and formatting the external Medion external hard disk is given on this
website in .pdf format. There cannot be all that difference in the formatting procedure. See if the info is of use in your case click here

Big Elf 20:29 30 Jan 04

I've used my external hard drive formatted as NTFS with an XP FAT 32 system without problem. Can you copy any files to the disk from explorer.

The disk could be faulty. As SEASHANTY suggests formatting the disk should be pretty straightforward and it should only take a bit longer due to it being an external drive.

Big Elf 21:11 30 Jan 04

From email:

"Thanks for your suggestion but I can't copy anything to the disk until it's formatted. At present, it's partitioned but is in a RAW state. Unless I can get it formatted, I can't use it."

I think it may be faulty.

SEASHANTY 14:55 31 Jan 04

Thanks for the email but please use this forum so that all are aware of problems encountered. I have just checked on the LaCie website and it would appear that some drives are sent out formatted as Fat32. Whether this is part of the reason for incomplete formatting in NTFS I really do not know.
If no explanations are forthcoming here suggest you pursue the matter with LaCie or the retailer you purchased the drive from - it could be a faulty drive. The LaCie website doesn't appear all that geared up for questions. click here

SEASHANTY 15:26 31 Jan 04

Have just downloaded the manual for this LaCie drive
.pdf. The manual is pretty explicit and I cannot see any reason why it will not completely format in NTFS. click here
Even the troubleshooting section only states " make sure you have formatted the drive" - I wonder what would happen if you tried to partition and format with Partition Magic or that free application - Ranish I think its called.

Newuser1783 20:00 06 Feb 04

Thanks to all who contributed suggestions; the problem was diagnosed by the PC manufacturer (Targa) as a glitch in the Firewire card. A BIOS update has solved the problem and the disk is now working OK.
Excellent service from Targa, not much support from LaCie!

SEASHANTY 22:32 06 Feb 04

Glad you managed to get it sorted. Don't think I will be buying from LaCie either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…