Formatting External?

muddypaws 09:17 21 Jul 09

When I try yo format my Seagate external it tells me it can't and to close all windows displaying the contents and try again. I have nothing open.
Is this a safe mode job?
Thanks.

Stuartli 09:18 21 Jul 09

No.

Have you downloaded the (free) Disk Wizard software from the Seagate/Maxtor website?

This is a lite version of Acronis and you can use it to format and set up partitions on the external drive.

Stuartli 09:19 21 Jul 09
  muddypaws 11:45 22 Jul 09

Stuartli
Apologies for the delay, but have had Tiscali problems. Whether it is anything to do with the power cut in Dartford I don't know.
I have had Seagate D.W. for some time, but now use XClone which I prefer as it gives me a second internal to boot from.
Anyway I did a full back up with XClone yesterday as opposed to a usual incremental and that over wrote all the previous content.
I wanted to do it as on perusing the external I could find no trace of 'My Music' or 'My Pics. They were all there. but I assume it was to do with me cancelling a couple of incrementals whilst in progress.
All sorted now thanks.

woodchip 11:49 22 Jul 09

It may be windows Restore thats accessing the drive, turn it off for ex drive

muddypaws 12:51 22 Jul 09

woodchip
Good point---never thought of that.
Will bear in mind next time.
Will resolve.
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…