Formatting does not stop photo recovery

madrush 17:56 05 Mar 09

I'm confused...I thought formatting the hard drive was supposed to totally wipe it clean.

I have a Compaq Presario with XP which I decided (after backup) to format back to the factory settings using the recovery disc, to clear it ready for disposal.

This worked but when I run the photo recovery program and it still recovers all the deleted photos that were there before.

The recovery disc was created before the photos, so I don't think that's the problem...would F10 and format WITHOUT the disc make any difference?

T0SH 18:45 05 Mar 09

Formatting a drive does not erase data it simply rebuilds the file allocation table,

you need to use something like killdisk or the hard drive makers zero fill utility to erase the drive

there are also some pay for solution out there

Cheers HC

MaxUpload 08:16 06 Mar 09

I agree with TOSH.

[email protected] is one answer to the problem.

You can download the free version which will clean the hard drive to a level suitable for us ordinary mortals - click here

madrush 14:28 07 Mar 09

Thanks for the help.

I ran KillDisk and reinstalled everything, then ran DIR and all the pics have gone...job done!

boon_intheuk 20:05 07 Mar 09

If your sorted you might want to close the thread by ticking the "resolved" box?

woodchip 22:08 07 Mar 09

Even after Killdisk it can be got round. but its the best for most purposes

madrush 22:33 07 Mar 09

Yeah, sorry, meant to tick the box!

DieSse 22:56 07 Mar 09

"Even after Killdisk it can be got round"

Oh yeh?

I'd like to see a demonstration of how.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…