Formatting cells ina "Word 2000" table.

Simsy 08:34 17 Feb 04

Hi folks,

I'm trying to help my sister woth something and have become stumped...

(Please note that I realise using a spreadsheet is probably a better option here.... I'm trying to work out how to do this just within "Word)

Trying to create a template that she can use to invoice clients...

It uses a table witha formula to total the amount. When creating the formula,(via Table>Formula), it is easy to apply a "currency" number format via the dropdown box that appears in the dialogue...

However it would be nice if the other cells in the table could also be formatted to be currency. I.E. typing 57 would display as £57.00

Using the format painter doesn't seem to work.

Can this be done in a "Word" table?

Thanks in anticipation,

Taff36 08:50 17 Feb 04

I have produced Invoice templates in word but you`ve answered your own question - it is simpler in Excel. Why does it have to be in Word and which version of Word do you have? (Is it stand alone or part of an Office Suite - if so which one?)

Simsy 09:05 17 Feb 04

She doesn't have Excel. (Though she does have "works", which has a s/sheet, I don't have that so can't experiment for her), and she wants it to be as simple as poss... so I want, (for the moment anyway), to keep away from OLE.

It's Word 2000,

I'm trying to discover if it can be done, (just within "Word"), as an exercise.

Taff36 10:47 17 Feb 04

OK you asked for it. You need to insert fields from the insert menu.

Assume you have a table with the figures to be entered in the far right column called AMOUNT. Set up say five rows this way and then two further rows for VAT and TOTAL.

The amount field is inserted by INSERT>FIELD select the field name MacroButton and AcceptAllChangesInDoc and in the display text type AMOUNT. Put a £ sign before this field and I suggest a space.

The VAT field is INSERT>FIELD and select “=(formula)” and type in the formula box “=SUM(ABOVE)*17.5%” – without the quotation marks of course.You can select the format of this one to include the £ sign which you mentioned in your post.

The TOTAL field is as the VAT but with just “=SUM(ABOVE)”

To add more items select the row Copy it and then paste rows.

If you have too many rows you must delete them.

If you need the VAT figure or Total to recalculate right click it and select Update field. (Always a good idea before you print the invoice anyway and certainly if you`ve changed anything.)

I`ve done this for you in a Word document so if you want to e-mail me click my envelope next to my name and I`ll send it to you. You can then copy and paste the formulas to your template.

Simsy 16:07 17 Feb 04

but I'm getting stuck at the following;

"INSERT>FIELD select the field name MacroButton and AcceptAllChangesInDoc and in the display text type AMOUNT. Put a £ sign before this field and I suggest a space."

I can Insert>Field and choose the field name "MacroButton", but I don't see what to do from there on? I can't see "AcceptAllChangesInDoc" anywhere?

What am I missing?

Taff36 16:26 17 Feb 04

Use the toggle button at the bottom of the box - click either HIDE CODES or FIELD CODES and the other one will appear. When you have Fied codes visible the display text appears at the top.

I`m off home shortly so if you want to take me up on my offer e-mail me now. You can play around with my example tonight then.

Taff36 16:54 17 Feb 04

fied codes? You know what I mean. You have to click OK and then insert the £ sign before the field code. Don`t put the £ sign in the display text. Sorry the Word document gives you a little better instructions that I wrote for you as well as the example.

Djohn 17:29 17 Feb 04

Simsy, I know this is not a direct answer to your question but the "Spreadsheet" within Works is ideal for this sort of thing and very easy to use.

It has several wizards as well that you only need to change the name of to suite the type of business you want to reflect.

I made my first accounts program with Works spreadsheet detailing all income/expense and banking for a small social fund. When I moved over to excel it was easy to convert the formula and I now use that.

Simsy 22:18 17 Feb 04

(My last post here seems to have got lost.... I hope this is where I typed it... I'm multitasking at the moment and may have typed my response elsewhere!!)

Anyway, I've emailed you Taff36. thanks for the offer.

Djohn, did you link the "Works" ssheet into a word doc? I can make a complete one in the ssheet... it's tying it into a Word doc, (which she is ahppy using), rather than just using a ssheet, (which she isn't) that I'm working on.

Thanks again.

Djohn 23:22 17 Feb 04

Sorry for the delay in replying Simsy. Didn't try with a Word doc. just straight from the spreadsheet to Excel. It will also work the other way round as well.

Excel to Works spreadsheet. Just the file ext. needs changing as you save. Not sure of the ext. now but you will see the options in works spreadsheet if you click on the "Save as" command. j.

Taff36 08:09 18 Feb 04

Apologies. I have been working in Word 2002 and it`s different. I`ve looked at Word 97 and that is exactly as you describe.It is not quite as user friendly as the later version. Never mind though I have manually typed in the field codes exactly as above and they work in 97.

For example, once you have chosen MACROBUTTON it appears in the lower box you simply leave a space & type AcceptAllChangesInDoc leave another space and then type your display text, in this case AMOUNT. The VAT & Totals you just type in the formulas from above.

I have sent you a word document by e-mail with detailed instructions to suit (I hope) Word 2000.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…