Formatting CDs

Rubroy 21:14 05 Aug 03

I am trying to come to terms with an encryption program for CDs - PC-Magic CD-Lock, which sounds great. However I have had trouble with it and am starting from scratch. The help file says 'if you want to create a new CD that is writable, then format the media first, insert the formatted media into the drive and run CD-Lock. CD-Lock then adds protection to the CD ...etc ..... Question, How do I format a CDR or CDRW on XP?

With Win 98 I had a choice of what tyoe of CD i wanted to create and toook it from there- but XP??

Rubroy

polar_king 21:25 05 Aug 03

even win98 needed a program to format a cdr, which one are ou using on xp

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:30 05 Aug 03

I assume that you need to format as the encryption programme is written to the disk and then you have to write the contents. This seems a horses' rear of doing the job but this linky might help....click here It would be much easier to drag n'drop the encryption programme with the rest of the files. It might be worth checking to see if this can be done.

It also depends how you are going to burn data to the disk. If you are using a programme such as Nero or Easy CD Creator, then no formatting is nessessary. If you plan on using packet writing software such as Roxio's Direct CD or Nero's InCD, you will need to format before you can drag and drop in Explorer. Look around in your burning software, it will have the option to format. better still post back the name of your writing software.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:31 05 Aug 03

ps...never formatted a CDR or CDRW in my life, using mainly W98 and I have burned over 1500.

G

Stuartli 23:25 05 Aug 03

Ditto

rawprawn 07:31 06 Aug 03

There is a format facility on Easy CD Creator 5, called "DirectCD Format Utility" it formats the CD & enables drag & drop for files, hope this any helps.

Jester2K II 07:45 06 Aug 03

You can only format a CDRW - not a CDR.

Dave123 07:57 06 Aug 03

With the right s/w (ie, Nero, Roxio) You can format a CDR, I do it all the time. Then drag&drop until it's full. You can even delete files although, obviously, you don't gain any space, you infact use space up as the FAT gets rewritten, and the file is not really deleted, you just can't access it any more

Jester2K II 08:06 06 Aug 03

Sorry of course you can format a CDR...

Rubroy 09:52 06 Aug 03

Thank You everyone - I guess I can sort myself out now OK

Rubroy

Rubroy 11:15 06 Aug 03

Gandalf,

Thanks for you last postings. I have re-read them and note the last paragraph. I have been using NeroBurning wizard because it is simple (!). However I have the full monty disk which seems to include other ways of going about things (packet writing?) but I am not yet very goog at using these programmes as in win 98 I simply copied and pasted or dragged the files ove. Because Of my problem with the apparent need to formatt blank cds I am having to learn new tricks. The other software I have available is a full retail disk of Roxio Easy CD Creator standard edition which the front says includes Direct CD. I have not downloaded this yet because I am very wary of XP and its habit of playing up if it think two programmes are clashing. What have I got and can you offer any more words of wisdom?

Thanks

Rubroy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced