Formatting CD-RW discs with Adaptec Direct CD

GaGa 23:51 14 Jan 03
  GaGa 23:51 14 Jan 03

I'm trying to use CD-RW for the first time and can't get past the formatting disc stage. After inserting a blank disc the Direct CD Wizard starts and gets to the stage of configuring the disc as expected, but when the verifying begins this just goes on and on. So far my current attempt has been verifying for 2hrs 11mins and shows no sign of finishing. Any suggestions please?

DieSse 23:53 14 Jan 03

What version is this - Adaptec sold this software to roxio quite some time ago. Therer have been many updates since then - check on the roxio site.

click here

BRYNIT 01:28 15 Jan 03

Have you installed the CDRW correctly as this can slow it down. It should be the slave on the same ribbon as your CD rom. also if you are using your comp for other programs it will slow it down further. the format process does not use the buffer underrun.

stlucia 13:48 15 Jan 03

Presumably you've been able to format CD-R okay in the past? If so, it surely seems like your recorder doesn't like CD-RW disks -- or perhaps just the particular brand you're using. There's no way it should take more than a few minutes to format the blank CD.

BrianW 14:08 15 Jan 03

I also find that CD-RW format takes a very long time in Adaptec Direct CD, but I think you will find that there is an option to do the formatting as a bckground task. I have given up using CD-RW as the price of CD-R is now so low and the formatting is much quicker. Its more effective to use a new disc each time than wait for the formatting to be completed with CD-RW in my view.

Hinny 15:32 15 Jan 03

Forgive my ignorance, but can one format a DC-R ?.
I too have cast aside the three CD-RW that I bought, I can be bothered to fiddle with them, it is easier just to use a new cd-r.

BrianW 15:42 16 Jan 03

Before you can write to a CD-R using Adaptec Direct CD it has to format it it for the specified use. Very quick but necessary process.

pj123 16:27 16 Jan 03

Don't format any disks.

I used to spend 30 to 40 minutes formatting CD/RW disks. some worked but most didn't.

i have now been told not to format any disk whether it is a CD/R or a CD/RW

I am using Nero Burn and i now don't have any problems with CD disks.

I have a FREE copy of Nero Burn Express which i find is a brilliant programme. If you want a copy let me know.

stlucia 16:42 16 Jan 03

pj123 is right so long as you only want to read your burned CDs on the machine you created them on. If you want to distribute them, to be readable on any CD player, you have to format them.

But, I agree that at the price you might as well just use CD-R.

pj123 16:57 16 Jan 03

I haven't found that. if i take them to someone elses computer (providing it has a CD/RW drive) it can read them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…