formatting c: drive

davewarr 12:53 16 Apr 03

i have formated a c: drive on an old computer but the computer will not run the cd to re load windows 95. at the command prompt i just get D:> everything i put in just gives bad command. i have tried start,startup,run,setup,win95,win,windows etc etc with no joy a:> works fine c:> dir shows some files left on my hard drive d:> dir shows one virtual file ~mssetup any suggestions

pj123 13:02 16 Apr 03

You need to start your computer with a boot disk that contains the CD drivers. If you haven't got one email me and I will send you one.

You would also need to go into the BIOS and make sure your PC looks for the floppy disk first.

The Sack 13:03 16 Apr 03

Did you format it in FAT 32? the original Windows 95 was FAT 16 only

eccomputers 13:04 16 Apr 03

its all down to the floppy disk you used, has it loaded the cd-rom driver?

What happens if you type dir E:
or dir Q:

Some floppies tend to give different reference letters to the cd-rom

If dir E: does work, type the following..
E:
cd win95
setup

Belatucadrus 13:19 16 Apr 03

A windows 95 startup disk doesn't include any CD drivers, you need either Ultimate boot disk click here or a W95 startup disk with generic drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…