SANAP 19:56 09 May 03

I have fiited a western digital as my 2nd hard drive, it came with no instructions, thanks DABS, went to BIOS and it shows up ok. I am using WIN98SE and know that I need to FDDISK and FORMAT but here I am lost as I have a DVD drive as D, CD-ROM as E and HD as C: What letter do I assign to the 2nd HD as I have set it up as slave?

I need step by step as I am worried that I may erase C: !!!

MartinT-B 20:06 09 May 03

Okay :)

Personally I always set my DVD and CD as Y: and Z: so I never have to think about them again. Having said that you r PC should 'move them along;' if you create a new partion or add a HDD.

Does the new dive show up in windows. If it does you're laughing. All you need to do is right click the dive and choose format, which is a LOT quicker than using fdisk to format.

Keith 20:07 09 May 03

You don't assign drive letters - the BIOS will do that for you. You say the BIOS recognises your second drive, so it should have assigned the drive a letter (probably D and shuffled your CD-rom etc up a letter). If you boot up, does Windows recognise it? (I.e. what does it show as in Explorer?).
The safe way to format: remove the data cable from your 'good' drive first - then you can't destroy it. Boot from a bootable floppy (Win98 recovery disk) and then at a> type fdisk. Say Yes to option for 'large disk support. Then:
1: create DOS Primary Partition
2: make it the active partition
3: format the new drive

You may partition your disk with fdisk if you wish - create an Extended partition then as many Logical partitions within the Extended as you wish.

For more comprehensive detail, do a search on this site for 'format' or 'format HDD' or similar: this topic has been covered comprehensively. Keith

DieSse 20:08 09 May 03

You can't do it from Windows if it's not showing up. You need to boot up with your start-up diskette, and FDISK and FORMAT from that. Before you start FDISK make sure you choose Option 5 in it's menu, which says "change hard drive" (or similar) - this puts you onto your new hard drive, and lets you set it up. take the same care with Format too.

SANAP 20:17 09 May 03

Thanks for quick response. I am off to try suggestions and will report back!

SANAP 00:00 10 May 03

help was much appreciated. Got everything done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…