Formatting

John Q Public 13:03 01 Jun 05

I have a lot of programmes on my pc that i dont use i have removed some with add remove programmes utility however i have been told that it doesnt totally remove all traces of the programme , my pc seems to be very sluggish so i was considering formatting the hard drive an re installing, unfortunately i dont feel competent to do this and i am not really sure if its neccessary ,anyone got any advice? thanks.

dagwoood 13:25 01 Jun 05

John Q Public, you could try clearing out a lot of dross using this CCleaner click here

Also, have you ran your anti-virus/malware scanners recently? If you have a nasty on your system, this could account for a slow down.

Have you defragged your hard drive lately?

If all else fails, this is a great guide on installing XP(I'm assuming that's your O/S) click here

HTH, dagwoood.

AndySD 13:29 01 Jun 05

What is your operating system?

Have you tried running any antispyware programs like A2 Free click here to see if this is causing the slowdown. Also do you run an updated antivirus?

John Q Public 16:12 01 Jun 05

Thanks for your posts going to defrag now,i have norton anti virus but the subscription expires in a few days do you think it is any better than the avg free software? when i try to download norton updates they dont all instal i get various error messages, thanks

Thanks for your posts going to defrag now,i have norton anti virus but the subscription expires in a few days do you think it is any better than the avg free software? when i try to download norton updates they dont all instal i get various error messages, thanks

Joe R 16:17 01 Jun 05

John Q Public,

Avg, is in my opinion far superior to Norton, with no massive resources needed for the program.

This will run well with the following, to give you a secure system. click here

click here

click here

click here

John Q Public 16:56 01 Jun 05

Going to give avg a try before i throw good money away on norton thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…