Formats?

TonyTT 22:20 10 Mar 06

Hi

Being relatively new to the whole thing, the one area that never seems to get any easier to understand is formats. There seems to be so many of them. Everything form .CUE to .VOB through to .MPEG and .ISO to TS_video/ AUDIO, what are they and what can you do and not do with them. Which can you burn to CD/DVD or not.

Any noddy simple guide to this kind of thing is much appreciated.

Kev.Ifty 23:24 10 Mar 06

I reckon those 'Techies' make all this stuff up to confuse us 'ordinary' lot!

Some useful places that I visit to aid me in reducing the confusion are..

click here

Or

click here

Or

click here

Or maybe for a laugh

click here

Cheers Kev.

Kev.Ifty 23:28 10 Mar 06

Sorry.. That 3rd one should have been

click here

:-)

DieSse 00:19 11 Mar 06

The masin reason for so many formats in the multi-media area, is that multi-media needs a lot of data to represent analogue *things* (music, pictures, film) in binary.

So it's virtually all compressed in some way to lower the amount of data reqired.

There are many different ways to compress data, with different advantages and disadvantages - it's a flourishing field of mathematics. Advances are being made all the time, and so we end up with many different ways, which = many formats.

Some formats are commercial (ie patented - royalties have to be paid to the inventors) - some are open-source, and free, such as Ogg-Vorbis.

Diodorus Siculus 11:30 11 Mar 06

Kev.Ifty - thanks for the laugh!

[quote]Progress Humour: Computer Terms

"CPU. Central propulsion unit. The CPU is the computer's engine. It consists of a hard drive, an interface card and a tiny spinning wheel that's powered by a running rodent - a gerbil if the machine is a 286, a ferret if it's a 386 and a ferret on speed if it's a 486."
click here[/quote]

Made me wonder how many here have used a 286 or even a 486 and remember when the 486 dx was wonderful!

Forum Editor 11:42 11 Mar 06

we had some fun with techie terms.

I remember writing a spoof thread about 'fluff' that collected inside the case - I can't remember the details, but I think I suggested that there was a certain type of bacteria that thrived around the fan bearings, or hard drive bearings - something like that. I said that these bacteria created a kind of 'bio-fluff' which accumulated in and around the bearings, and inside the workings of computer mice.

I was inundated with mail from people who wanted to know how they could get rid of these bacteria.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now