Format...please explain!

sorefingers 11:07 14 Jan 03
  sorefingers 11:07 14 Jan 03

I read that you only use the Format command with the following (/s) in order to prevent the loss of the system files! (...what are these?). Can someone explain why/when you should use this extension and what does it do - as opposed to using the full Format command - which I believe wipes everything from your hard-drive!
Thanks for any help!

Diemmess 11:16 14 Jan 03

You are right... Format does wipe your drive:

If you use the switch " /s " this will put the system files on to the newly wiped HD.

Whether or not you need these files depends on why you formatted in the first place.

If the drive is for data you don't need the system files.

If you are going to install an operating system, this will put the required system files on there anyway.

Mac & Beth 11:16 14 Jan 03

Format with /s doesn't prevent the loss of system files just adds the system files to the disk after formatting it.

It makes the disk bootable. On a floppy it makes a boot disk and on a hard drive it makes a bootable drive ready for the installation of a Operating Systen without a Boot Disk.

BlueMeanie 22:24 14 Jan 03

The above comments are spot on.

Format will erase the Hard disk and prepare it for reinstalling the new operating system.

Try Format C: /c /u /s , This will format your hard disk, CHECK for bad spots, UNCONDITIONAL, ie will not save any previous info, SYSTEM and will install just three files (approx) so that the hard disk is bootable by the PC.

Or:

Format C: /q This would perform a QUICK format, takes just seconds, removes all files etc but does not do any checks. Only do this if you know the Hard drive is perfect. I use this when I am trying various options when making/repairs PC's.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…