Formating with xp home

whiteribbons 14:52 26 Nov 03

Can anyone tell me if i would be able to reformat my hard drive so I can start again?
I have a laptop which has 18gb but i only have 4.5gb free.I don't know why i have so little so thought i'd like to start again from scratch

spikeychris 14:54 26 Nov 03

Do you have a full XP installation disk or a reload/recovery disk?

whiteribbons 14:59 26 Nov 03

Yes I have the recovery disc that i got when i bought laptop

spikeychris 15:09 26 Nov 03

Well if its a recovery disk you can't in effect format. What you can do however is to take the machine back to the state it was when you bought it. Backup everything you need and assuming the BIOS is set to boot from CD (most likely is) insert the disk and turn off, restart and if it says hit any key to boot from CD..do so. Follow the prompts.

whiteribbons 19:53 26 Nov 03

Thanks spikeychris,I didi what you suggested!only thing is I chose to repair rather than a new install.
So........unless there is another way to do it ,? I will go and try again!!!

spikeychris 19:57 26 Nov 03

Why pray did you select repair?

whiteribbons 20:02 26 Nov 03

Because I thought that was what i should have done...!thought if i reinstalled i would end up with duplicate files!
Pretty silly i realise now!

HO HUM AS THEY SAY.LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES!

spikeychris 20:02 26 Nov 03

BTW it looks like you have an XP installation disk rather than a recovery disk.

whiteribbons 20:04 26 Nov 03

It say's on the front, For Distrobution with a new pc only.

If it is does that mean i can reformat the hard drive?

spikeychris 20:06 26 Nov 03

As long as it doesn't say "will only work on machine supplied..paraphrasing) its a full installation disk. This is far better than a recovery disk. click here for the inns and outs of reloads formats etc:

Chris

whiteribbons 20:16 26 Nov 03

Ok,thanks Chris really appreciate your help.
Will let you know how i get on!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…