Formating new hard drive

Snrub 01:40 18 Mar 10

What is the best way to format a new hard drive and also the easiest way to trasnsfer a full copy of the old hard drive to the new one?

freminy 06:05 18 Mar 10

Hi according to me first you set your jumper setting and make a master drive and master slave drive then you will do ahead for next process the best way is format drive to then insert OS CD in CDROM and do you some process and after some time you will do format a drive and install OS C: drive That's very simply and wright way for formatting. And after installing to do copy of data in first HHD and copy to second HDD, i hope you will do this.

All the best

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:51 18 Mar 10

"And after installing to do copy of data in first HHD and copy to second HDD, i hope you will do this."

Will not work

If you need to copy the whole content of an old drive including operating system to a new larger drive. Then you new drive cloning / imaging software such as Acronis true image. click here

MAJ 10:00 18 Mar 10

"If you need to copy the whole content of an old drive including operating system to a new larger drive. Then you new drive cloning / imaging software such as Acronis true image."

Alternatively, the drive's manufacturer might offer free software to do the job on their website.

MAJ 10:22 18 Mar 10

Easus Todo Backup, will also help you clone the disk, it's free. click here

Snrub 13:11 18 Mar 10

Thanks Fruit Bat and Maj if I use Acronis or Easus to copy full old drive do I first need to format new HDD using OS CD in CDROM as freminy suggests?

T0SH 14:12 18 Mar 10

After you fit a brand new drive start disk management you will see it listed on the left normally at the bottom of the disk management window, if you right click on it where it shows and choose Initialise (what used to be done by fdisk in the old days) you will then be able to format it and allocate it a drive letter this will allow the disk cloning software to see the new drive and proceede with the cloning

Cheers HC

Flak999 14:29 18 Mar 10

if you are using Acronis you don't need to format the new drive at all, after installing it in the computer just make sure it is recognised in the bios, then boot your machine with your Acronis rescue disk (you might have to change the boot order in the bios so that the machine boots from the CD drive)follow the prompts from the Acronis interface and select your saved backup file (mine is on an external backup hard drive) 15 mins later your up and running again. Simples! :)

DieSse 17:12 18 Mar 10

Both Seagate (for Seagate and Maxtor drives) and Western Digital, have free downloads of a stripped down Acronis version. This enables you to clone your old hard drive onto your new one.

Cloning produces an exact duplicate of your old drive on the new one.

Formatting is not needed.

Either drive can be the required make - the old or the new - for the software to work.

It can make a lot of sense to get an external USB enclosure, put the new drive into it - do the clone - then swap the drives over. Then you put the old drive into the enclosure and use it for backups. Don't touch the old drive for a time, until your new one has been up and running and working OK (in fact it will be your first backup!).

If you have a laptop, you may need to go the external enclosure route, as you may not be able to put two drives at once onto the laptop.

Enclosures are very inexpensive, and available almost everywhere. And it save messing with drive jumpers if they're IDE drives. Don't forget an enclosure needs to be for the correct drive type - IDE or SATA.

lotvic 18:17 18 Mar 10

Obvious that 'freminy's' post is SPAM

Snrub 01:15 19 Mar 10

Thanks DieSse very informative.
I am trying to install new Sata hard drive, the old drive is IDE which frequently crashes with disc warning in the event log. I intend to use an IDE/SATA adapter and have already purchased this. I had to go to Maplins for an ATA/Sata power cable and was told this was not a good idea. However, I have already purchased all compents, sata HDD, IDE/Sata adapter and power cable so I will give it a try. Would be interested if anyone has done the same?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac