Formating my harddrive

XP Medic 21:45 22 Feb 04

I am selling my computer (with XP Home on) to a friend and wish to wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows xp home.

Can someone advise me the best way and easiest way to do this please. I have alll the relevant drivers etc and my xp home uppgrade disk.

Chegs ® 21:52 22 Feb 04

Put the cd in and set pc to boot from it,the xp cd will "find" your present install,and tell you its not possible to install two versions on one hdd.The install will offer to "delete" the previous install by pressing either D or L (I cannot recall which)Then it will continue on to install XP.(Do not use "Recovery Console" keep going until it offers to "Repair")

Paranoid Android 22:29 22 Feb 04

Nice tip, Chegs, but will this remove all data files ?

Marv.

dfghjkl 22:53 22 Feb 04

yes as far as "normal people" are concerned.there is no way to wipe it from the experts,but we are talking experts.i doubt a friend would go to the trouble.follow chegs advice(it is L to delete old partition)it is quite simple,dont forget to change the boot order back after fresh install.good luck.peter.

Paranoid Android 23:01 22 Feb 04

Agree, if it deletes the partition that will be sufficient.

Marvin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…