formating a lap top

fitcher 16:31 01 Oct 04

on my lap top came with the recovery version of windows xp ,and I want to buy my own windows xp ,how can I format the hard disk ,like one used to do with a floppy disk with win 98.and get shut of it.the other day I used the floppy method on a desktop to get rid of a bad virus .now I am scared if it happens to me , I also want to section the disk for linux . like I do on my other desktop ..

OwenLotts 16:33 01 Oct 04

Put the new XP CD in the drive. Make sure the CD drive is the first bootable device in the BIOS and then switch on. Hit the Space bar when promted "Do you want to boot from the CD?" and you can format and partition away using the tools built in the XP CD.

OwenLotts 16:34 01 Oct 04
  keith-236785 17:29 01 Oct 04

if your laptop has a floppy drive, use a win98 se startup disk and do what you do on your laptop as you would on your desktop.

just remember though that there may be a hidden partition on the laptop drive which holds the files for the present restore setup.

when you partition the drive for linux, do not format the space you intend to use for linux, the linux installation takes care of it for you. Use space on the end of the drive for linux.

fred 21:04 01 Oct 04

Just make sure that you have all the drivers you need for the laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…