Formating HDD using fdisk tool

annie35 21:58 03 Sep 03

My sons pc got a power surge roughly 2 months ago and i finally got the money together to replace the hard drive and the power supply unit that got damaged in the surge. Got the power supply connected ok and fitted in the new hdd making sure i set it as a master drive.I also made sure i had all the relevant software as well as making a start up disk before i started.The problem i encountered was when i started the pc i had the start up disk in place and selected start computer without cd rom support and pressed enter and then at the a prompt typed in fdisk and pressed enter i should have got your comp has a disk higher than 512mb do u want to enable large disk support but insted i got fdisk error and the pc would go no further. any advice would be great on this thanks.

holly polly 22:06 03 Sep 03

what op system and boot disk r u using?-hol pol...

annie35 22:13 03 Sep 03

its a brand new hdd so there is no operating system on it at the moment.I will be installing windows 98se i made the boot disk off my pc which is also using windows 98se.

holly polly 22:26 03 Sep 03

try downloading the boot disk from here ,by chance the boot disk u created might not fdisk support
click here
and try fdisk again-hol pol...

holly polly 22:28 03 Sep 03

ps these bootdisks also have cd support-hol pol

holly polly 22:30 03 Sep 03

just a matter of intrest wot make is the hdd please?-hol pol...

holly polly 22:35 03 Sep 03

seem to remember theres no fdisk i think could be wrong on win 98 try a me boot disk from the link i supplied and fdisk from there -should work they did for me -hol pol...

annie35 22:36 03 Sep 03

i got the hard drive from time its a western digital 40gig hard drive is it this one i should download

DOS - Windows 9X/Me/NT/2K/XP Excellent Bootdisks

holly polly 22:41 03 Sep 03

yes click on bootdisks u will see alist come up click on me oem version and away u go let me know how u get on -hol pol...

holly polly 22:45 03 Sep 03

ps id give the win 98 version a try first not used win 98 before is the file format fat 32?-hol pol...

graham√ 22:45 03 Sep 03

You're doing fine, but when you keep pasting the thread title it detracts from your response.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…