Formating a floppy

Grandad D 20:48 13 Jun 03

Hi. They have bought some 3 1/2in floppy disk's at work. However in the order some boxes are unformated disks. We have tried to format these in the normal way but they won't. All we get is an error saying that they can't be formated. They are DS/DD 80 track. Any ideas please. I have not known this before. Thanks, Dennis

hugh-265156 20:55 13 Jun 03

i did not know that you could still buy unformatted disks.

my advice is bring them back and swap for pre formatted ones.

keith-236785 20:55 13 Jun 03

does the message say they may be write protected or full

if so turn the disk over and slide the small tab on the left hand side so it BLOCKS the hole

then try again

Grandad D 21:03 13 Jun 03

Hi. It just says the disk in drive A cannot be formated. Maybe we should send them back. I just thought it would be easier to format them. Thanks for the help, Dennis

Belatucadrus 21:15 13 Jun 03

Are you trying to format them at the HD capacity of 1.4 Mb ? If so you need to set the capacity of the DD disks to 720Kb using the drop down arrow at the right end of the capacity box on the format window.

bowman 21:30 13 Jun 03

If there are two holes at the top of the disks then they are 1.4mb, if there is only one then they are 720 KB disks? I would go with Belatucadrus on this.

Hope this helps.

Grandad D 22:02 13 Jun 03

Thank you. They have 1 hole. They will be going back on Monday. Thanks a lot, Dennis

otubby1 22:34 13 Jun 03

I think I am right in saying that, if the disks you have, have only got one hole, they are the old type - I can't remember the capacity off hand it's been that lond since I used one - and new drives only format the new type, with two holes, which are 1.44 meg capacity.

I suggest you send them back and get them replaced.

xquest 22:53 13 Jun 03

You might have solved my problem but let me run it past you...

I have a Yamaha sequencer which writes double density disks (they are 720Kb) and which are unreadable on my 3 year old desktop floppy drive. If I format DD floppies on the desktop the disks are unreadable in the sequencer. My ancient Atari formats disks which are readable by both ! Strange innit !
So my old Atari floppies are very valuable. Presumably when they wear out I'll have to play my MIDI music on the sequencer and pick it up on the desktop sequencer directly without using floppies.

Anyone know if there is a software solution to transferring MIDI files from a Yamaha MDF2 sequencer to a desktop PC ?
Xquest.

otubby1 23:29 13 Jun 03

I'll try to get this right, but if I'm wrong, one of the other guys will put you right.

If I remember rightly, your old Atari disks are single density at, I think, 720k(ish), standard floppies are DD (DOHHH, my girlfriend)(sorry :)) and are 1.44mb, and yo say your Yamaha uses disks that are 720kb DD.

The reason that your PC reads both is because it has the capability to do so, I think W95 formatted both as the SD disk was being phased out, but neither of the other two can format a DD 1.4mb disk.

Your Yamaha formats DD disks at 720kb but they are 1.44mb capacity.

Phew! I think I got that right.

Belatucadrus 00:06 14 Jun 03

DD Double Density 720Kb
HD Higher Density 1.4Mb

The DD disks should be usable in the same way as HD when formatted. I say should because my laptop won't touch them, despite having format options for both.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…