Formating C Drive problems

Eileanbeag 12:31 17 Feb 05

I have been attempting to format an old computer with a small hard drive.

All wnet well until the format completed then came label no and after that I was given a: I am told then that" CDR101: No ready reading E drive. Abort retry fail.

Where have I gone wrong? Please help!

octal 12:44 17 Feb 05

It looks like the CD ROM drive is not being read, if its an old computer, does it have a CD ROM?

Normally when you've finished A: is the floppy, C: is the HD D: is the virtual drive were the tools are loaded and E: is the CD ROM.

Eileanbeag 12:59 17 Feb 05

Yes - it does have a CD rom - always says E is not ready - Windows 98 by the way

Diemmess 13:03 17 Feb 05

If so, reboot with the setup disk in A: and choose "With CDROM support"......... Then pop the CD in and at A:> prompt try E:

octal 13:03 17 Feb 05

Check the 98 disk in another machine to make sure its not damaged.

If you still get problems can you try the CD drive in another machine to make sure its actually working?

strech 13:08 17 Feb 05

when in A change to E:then wright DIR and enter
if it tells you what is on your cd then thecd rom is working alright

Yoda Knight 13:09 17 Feb 05

do u have a cd in the drive ?.

Diemmess 13:13 17 Feb 05

Another route .... In the BIOS, check the CD drive is recognised and change "1st Boot Device" to "CD"..... Then exit the BIOS saving the change, and allow it to boot with the CD in the slot.

strech 13:14 17 Feb 05

PS forgot to tell you the when you format the
computer windows changes E: the D:

Eileanbeag 13:32 17 Feb 05

Many thanks for all your help - CD rom has failed

octal 13:34 17 Feb 05

Thanks for the feedback, good luck, hope you get it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…