Formating

biffboff 17:48 19 Jan 07

Can anyone out there give me step by step instructions how to format an operating system of windows 98, "YES" your right i'm a beginner. also can i install XP onto another computer, this XP disc has already be used for my system, is this possible.

Cheers BiffBoff

SLAYER 18:44 19 Jan 07

Have I got this right, you wish to format your hard drive and reinstall 98.Heres a couple of sites that will walk you though format procedure.

click here

click here

and "can i install XP onto another computer, this XP disc has already be used for my system, is this possible".

no ,you can only have it on one pc at a time.

biffboff 18:59 19 Jan 07

Cheers slayer,

Almost got it , what i want to do is format a system with windows 98 on it and reinstall windows XP home edition. Can you adise me on how to faormat and install as i have never done this before

BiffBoff

ed-0 19:47 19 Jan 07

If you have nothing you wish to save from your windows 98 installation ( hard drive ).

1)Then place the windows XP disk into the cdrom drive and start the computer. If it says "press any key to start" then the machine will start to load windows XP. Then go to 3.

2)If the machine just loads to windows 98, then shut it down. Restart the machine and keep tapping the delete key. This should take you into the cmos, a blue screened window. Look for a heading of either " advanced cmos settings " or " boot". Open this page and you are looking for listings called " boot". They will say first boot, second boot, third boot, etc. You will have to change the first boot to cdrom. You do this by highlighting the setting and using the PgUp or PgDn key. When you have done this, you press the F10 key to save and exit. The machine will reboot and keep the windows XP cd in the drive. Press any key to start the windows XP installation.

3) Just follow the prompts. After you have press F8 to give your consent on the license. You will start to come around to the format screen. Pick format the hard drive in fat32 with a quick format. The rest is automatic.

4) When windows has finished being loaded. Load the drivers for your hardware, if you need to. Windows XP does have a greater amount of drivers over windows 98.

SLAYER 20:20 19 Jan 07

walkthrough here

click here

biffboff 10:25 20 Jan 07

cheers ed-o

That makes more sence to me. If i install my copy of XP to another system with my reg key no, would i be right in saying i would have thirty days grace to register with windows, then buy a new xp disc with a new register key.

BiffBoff

ed-0 13:58 20 Jan 07

" If i install my copy of XP to another system with my reg key no, would i be right in saying i would have thirty days grace to register with windows "

yes.

" then buy a new xp disk with a new register key. "

No,

as the original key will be on the hard drive. You could try windows for upto thirty days, but not connect to the internet, because the windows site will see that it is an edition that already has been installed. To register a new key number for windows you would need to format again and install XP from the new disk.

Hope that makes sense.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…