Formated PC shows 2 windows installs?

j3nks 23:38 15 Sep 06

A friend asked me to sort out his PC but so infected with viruses etc that the only real option was to format it. PC is a Dell Dimension 2400 on the first attempt there was 2 existing partitions a small unlabeled one and the C drive plus some unallocated space.

Formatted it using the Dell reinstallation CD but was still incredibly slow so decided to get rid of the unlabeled portion of the drive by deleting all the partitions then formatted it again. Now I have two operating systems showing when I boot up and have to select one of them.

Tried formatting again to make sure I had selected the correct option to format the disk but still get two operating systems?

How can I remove one of them or force a format that will ensure I only get one operating system? Never had a problem formatting before but have always had a genuine windows XP disk previously not a restore disk.

Any help would be gratefully received

Ian

brundle 01:19 16 Sep 06

start menu/run, type `msconfig`, click `boot.ini` tab

j3nks 14:35 16 Sep 06

I can see the two operating systems in there and the second one shows as not having a valid path and I get the option to delete it.

It then appears that I have to leave the PC in diagnostic start up mode as if I put it back to normal start up the second OS reappears. I can reduce the OS selection time down to 3 seconds but would like to remove the second OS or any reference too it completely.

How can I save the boot.ini to make it the default start up with only 1 OS so a normal boot takes place? Do I need to edit the boot.ini file directly or can I save the changes to the system configuration utility as a normal start?

j3nks 18:16 16 Sep 06

well while waiting for more info I searched for the boot.ini file and found the backup file for it. Opened it in notepad deleted the second no valid entry and saved it and hey presto can use normal startup and opens windows with out the select OS prompt!

Hope this may be of use to others

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5