Format Windows 2000 ?

Young Ranger 10:04 08 Jun 03

I recently upgraded from Win ME to Win 2000 professional. This did not go well and when I boot up It now stops with the message "Please insert CD labeled Windows 2000 into your CD drive"

I can't do this because there is no response from the mouse. I have also tried using the four emergency discs without sucess. One of the options resulted in the message "The value .SIF used by setup is corrupted or missing. Value 0 on the line in section [SourceDisksFiles] with key "SP2.cab." setup cannot continue.

There other problems such as not being able to connect to the internet, send a fax etc.

I would like to format the disc and start again from scratch. How do I format the disc ?

VoG™ 10:10 08 Jun 03

Does this help click here

MichelleC 11:06 08 Jun 03

I did this on Sat with help from VoG™ and others. Make 4 boot discs from os disc. Change boot sequence in BIOS to boot from floppy, insert boot disc 1 and reboot:

At the welcome to setup page, press 'r' to repair a windows installation, press 'c' to use Recovery Console, press the number key (1, I think), press enter, enter admin password, press enter, at command prompt type format c: (or drive letter of drive to format). You may have to put os disc in cdrom to action. Beware - it'll format in NTFS unless otherwise told (but I don't know how to do it in fat32).

It may be worth trying to reinstall w2k over itself 1st as this sorts things out sometimes.

jimv7 11:52 08 Jun 03

boot from cd, insert win 2000 and follow the onscreen instructions.

It will give you the option of formatting with fat32 or ntfs.

Young Ranger 17:48 08 Jun 03

VOG pointed me in the right direction and it was indeed the Adeptec software that caused the problem.

Applying the solution was straight forward but the re-installation afterwards took ages as the system kept hanging at various stages. Patience was rewarded and the system now boots up OK.

Thanks to all and especially VOG (again). Now to sort out the "unknown PCI controller, but that's another thread !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…