Format win98se

pierc113 14:03 13 Apr 03

Todays the day I am going to reformat this computer never done it before I have loads of info printed out to help me got all my dics's driver etc, But I have a problem before I start have put in boot floppy hit yes to cd support then I get to A:/ I have three differant offers on what I should type in there does anyone know what I should put in all I want to do is clear everything and start again

Lozzy 14:14 13 Apr 03

All you need to do is this:: Make back-ups of all your data first then >>

1. Boot the PC into MS DOS Mode

2. At the C:/format C:/ hit return (note the space between the T of format and C)

3. Type Y for yes to proceed

Once its formated insert the Floppy or set your BIOS to 1st boot from CD Rom have the windows CD in your rom and it will start to install..

If you use the Boot Floppy use CD Rom support then once its finished type in at the A:/ or C:/ prompt your CD drive letter per say D:/ hit return. Now if it is D:/(type) setup.. You should be ok from this point forward..

leedaz 14:18 13 Apr 03

pierc113.. Try this...

At A Prompt type cd D:/ press enter
At D Prompt type setup press enter

This presumes your CD Drive is Drive D.

Hope This helps.

pierc113 14:41 13 Apr 03

I am useing a floppy boot disc and when it as loaded I get A:/ What do I put in to clear my HD or is this not the way to go ?

xtreme_computing 14:42 13 Apr 03

to format your hardrive

just do as you have said

and at the a:\ prompt

type format c: so it looks like this:

A:\format c:

press enter and it will give you a meesage saying all the data on the hardrive will be erased choose Y (for yes)

and it will format it

once it has finished formatting restart the computer with the startup floppy still in the drive.choose cd rom support, put the windows cd in the cd rom drive

and at the a prompt type D:\ so it looks like

A:\D:
press enter, the A:\ prompt will change to D:\, then just type setup and press enter, so it looks like

D:\setup

press enter and your on the way to installing windows, once the windows setup has started you can take the floppy startup disk out,

pierc113 14:50 13 Apr 03

Thanks I will try it now

Sparks 19:04 13 Apr 03

I done my first reformat following these instructions click here

pierc113 19:39 13 Apr 03

Thanks for all the help everyone am now back up and runing easier then what I thought once I got the format out the way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…