format.. whats left on computer

hubdean 13:56 14 Feb 05

i have just re formated my packard bell computer
win xp home
what data is left on my hard drive after i reinstall xp

thank

Diodorus Siculus 14:01 14 Feb 05

After you install XP, then all that will be on it is the XP OS.

What exactly is the question? Do you mean can the rest be recovered? If so, the answer is yes, but not easily.

hubdean 14:03 14 Feb 05

how do i find what is in the computer other than the o/s

Diodorus Siculus 14:09 14 Feb 05

Do you want to find any info that has been deleted? A program like Restoration will find it for you.

TWEAK.US ยป Restoration:: Undelete Trashed Files
click here

If you want to securely erase them: Eraser - secure data erase tool to blitz files on your hard drive - FREE
click here

FelixTCat 14:48 14 Feb 05

When files are put on a computer, the 0s and 1s of the binary data are saved to different parts of the hard disk, one after another if possible. Windows maintains a table of contents showing which bit of which file is where. (Strictly, it shows the location of the first part of any file - the first part shows the location of the second part etc; the last part has an end-of-file marker).

When you format a disk, Windows erases the table of contents. It then appears to Windows as though no files are present and it can save new files anywhere it likes.

Thus formatting a disk does not remove any data, but as soon as you write new files to the disk, they will overwrite any files still there.

As Diodorus Siculus say, it may be possble to recover part or all of any files after a format; it depends on how much of them has already been overwritten.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…