Format second HD

GBL 20:33 26 Feb 03

I am using XP pro and wanted to use the Hard drive from my old machine which still has Win 98se and programs etc on it.
I have installed it as a second drive but wish to format it and use it for extra storage.

when I go into Format it refuses to do it as something is accessing the drive, no idea what.
I have deleted all files etc on the drive but still want to clean it up.
Also I need to change its file system from FAT to the same as XP. NTFS.

How do I overcome these problems??

When completed can I transfer some files from the main drive to the second drive??

Parsley 20:44 26 Feb 03

Geoffy

Is the master / slave jumper set correctly on the drive if you have any other hardware on the same IDE cable.

GBL 21:06 26 Feb 03

The jumper is set to master and there is my CDW on the same cable, the other cable has the main HD as the master and the DVD on it.

If I set the second drive to slave the system halts at boot up that is why I put it as the second master.

Everything works fine except I cannot format it.

GBL 21:18 26 Feb 03

Done it now through the Device Manager, had to enforce the format, so we will see what happens now.
Thanks

GBL 21:20 26 Feb 03

I am using XP pro and have installed a second Hard Drive, can I now transfer some of the programs from the main drive onto the second, if so what is the best way of doing it???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac