format & reinstall xp pro

GBL 12:14 08 Sep 03

Im running xp pro and would like to format and reinstall but don't know what to do, I go to the "C" drive and click on format but it tells me to turn off everything that is running, puzzled.

My HDD had got 4 kb bad sectors, does this mean that the disk is on its way out??

spikeychris 12:16 08 Sep 03

Your telling XP to commit suicide..it will not. Do you have the XP installation disk? if so boot from it and you can format and re-install all with the disk.

Chris

Jester2K II 12:20 08 Sep 03

"My HDD had got 4 kb bad sectors, does this mean that the disk is on its way out?? "

If they have always been there then don't worry. Only worry if more appear each time you Scandisk.

alcudia 12:29 08 Sep 03

If you still want to go ahead:

Make sure that the first boot drive is the CD-Rom. Insert your XP CD and restart. You should see briefly at the bottom of the screen the command Press any key to boot from CD. Hit the spacebar. The Windows setup screen will appear on a blue background and you will see files loading at the bottom of the screen. Allow this to run until complete. When prompted press enter to Set up XP. Press F8 to accept agreement. Press Esc to install a fresh copy of Windows as per the prompt. From the options at the bottom of screen press D to delete the partition and return to confirm, then press L to complete the deletion. At the next screen press C to create a new partition. Accept the default size. Press enter to continue setup. If asked choose a file system, Fat32 or NTFS. You drive will be reformatted and some files will be copied. Set up will initialize and the computer will restart. Ignore any further prompts to boot from CD. XP will install. During installation you will be asked for regional and keyboard settings etc. Make sure you answer correctly. When complete PC will restart. Again ignore prompt to boot from CD. When running remove CD. All done. Activate It. Good luck.

GBL 13:31 08 Sep 03

I do have the installation disc.

I take it from what you have said Alcudia, that it will be a clean re-instalation and I will need to put on the programs I want.

The other week I had problems and a re-install on top was done, but things are getting slower etc.

alcudia 13:44 08 Sep 03

If you go through the procedure I described your hard drive will be wiped clean and you will lose all programs and saved files. But you did say you wanted to format.
Alternativly you can choose R to repair the current installation (instead of esc to set up Windows) and see if this improves things.

GBL 13:47 08 Sep 03

No that is fine a complete clean out is what I am after.

Thanks to all, hopefully this will sort it all out. I will get busy saving files etc.

spikeychris 13:52 08 Sep 03

alcudia, agree with your first post, however if you select R at the beginning it will take the machine to the recovery console. A repair installation is carried out like this..

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive ie: go to the BIOS and select CD as the first boot option.

Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM drive and then restart your computer.

(You can also boot with a Windows 98/Me Startup disk with CD support and run WINNT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD)

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. "Do not select this option".

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

The down side to a repair is you will have to reapply all updates and hot fixes.

Chris

alcudia 14:01 08 Sep 03

Sorry, getting confused. Must pay more attention to what I am writing. Thanks.

mophead 18:34 08 Sep 03

i have a new pc without windows .can you tell me how to install xp to this new pc thanks .

spikeychris 18:45 08 Sep 03

click here any probs start a new thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…