Format and Re-Install

blue_cafe 20:02 22 Sep 03

Should I format my hard drive before I re-install XP Home or just install it over-the-top?

Cheers guys.........Neil.

DieSse 20:11 22 Sep 03

It depends what you are trying to acheive.

If you want a brand new, clean as possible installation - then reformatting is the best way to do that.

If you simply want to repair an installation, retaining data, settings and programs from before - then do a Repair installation

Brian-336451 20:15 22 Sep 03

I believe equals 'install it over the top', I regularly do that if I fiddle and stop something working.

Personally (really just an excuse to fiddle) every six months or so I reformat my OS partition and reinstall software.

Its amazing how well it runs when all the rubbish has been cleared out!

blue_cafe 20:18 22 Sep 03

Thanks DieSse..... I've backed-up all my data but I've messed with the Registry and a few web pages wont open, hotmail won't load, link don't activate, so it doesn't matter to me to re-install..... I was just wondering wheather I should format first or just put the disc in and re-install XP...?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…