format old pc

struggle8 14:56 01 May 04

cannot seem to format old pc with win me on, inserted win me boot disc re booted pc will not boot to command prompt A: check in bios for 1st boot device set to floppy its been that long since I done a format what have I done wrong

holly polly 15:31 01 May 04

click here
firstly download a new bootdisk from here -save to floppy enter bios usually by hitting del during bootup ,change tghhe first boot device to floppy ,the files will begin to load and choose start comp with cd support
when at the command promttype fdisk -delete the non dos partitions and the extended paritions ,create a primary dos partition and enable large disk support when prompted ,reboot goto command prompt again and then enter the command format c:-where c is your h/drive -the drive will be formatted -WARNING EVERYTHING WILL BE LOST SO BACK UP-reboot again and at the command promt type- setup
windows will then be reinstalled ,of course if you want to partition the drive do so during fdisk ,otherwise use all the available space as one partition -hope this info enlightens and reminds you of the procedure -
drop us a line if you get stuck -regards -Hol Pol...

struggle8 06:25 03 May 04

hey done the bios set first boot device to floppy inserted floppy nothing window just boots to xp how the hell do I get to format c:

Migwell 06:46 03 May 04

How about taking the H/Drive off this old computer and putting it onto another, using the secondary cable, as the drive you want to format is set to master anyway. Then go into my computer and Format from there.

Then replace the drive onto the old computer and leave the floppy drive empty you should set the first boot to CD pop in your windows CD and away you go.

This works for me.

struggle8 06:54 03 May 04

never thought of doing it that way must give it a try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…