Format not supported on drive c:

Charlie Babbage 22:32 13 Nov 06

Following a previous enquiry click here I have been retying to format a hard drive before doing a clean reinstall of Windows XP

I now have a boot floppy disk and got to the A> prompt. However, when I type the command 'format C:' I get the error message 'Format not supported on drive C: Format terminated'

Any further advice as to overcome this problem would be much appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 22:36 13 Nov 06

HAve you tried to boot from the CD?

It's possible the drive is formatted as NTFS and so can't format with your floppy. When booting with CD you will get option to format the drive before installing XP.

lotvic 22:42 13 Nov 06

for full instructions to do what you want to do click here
windowsreinstall

Charlie Babbage 22:45 13 Nov 06

... when I try to boot from CD it just loads Windows XP without giving an option to format the drive.

The drive already has Win XP installed. The problem is that when Win XP is loaded from the installed CD drive the desktop appears plus all the usual Start Mmenu items. The problem is that you can't go any further eg clicking on 'My Computer' does not do anything, nor does clicking on 'All programs'.

I'm trying to wipe clean the HD and start again. Is there any way of doing this apart from a boot floppy disk? Is it possible to take out the HD and attach it to another computer as a slave and format from there. If so, is there a web site which gives details?

Quiller. 22:52 13 Nov 06

Use killdisk to format the harddrive. click here

It will format ntfs and it is free.

lotvic 00:34 14 Nov 06

check that the first boot device in your system BIOS is set to the CD-ROM Drive
I don't think that you have been booting from the CD if the Desktop appears plus all the usual Start Menu items.

Charlie Babbage 23:11 14 Nov 06

Many thanks to all who helped me. Killdisk saved the day!

olyman 14:19 25 Apr 07

After using Killdisk is it necessary to repartition and reformat before installing the operating system or can that be done from the XP disk during installation?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…