format not supported on drive c

bobby-c 11:23 02 Sep 04

hi i have a maxtor 30gb hdd i need to format it
in dos i type formst c: then it says format not supported on drive c any help please
thanx i will keep looking

xania 11:29 02 Sep 04

Are you running DOS is a Window? If so, it will not work. You need to boot straight into DOS - you may get away with closing into DOS. Your format command should then work.

bobby-c 11:54 02 Sep 04

i boot it into dos with a win 95 boot disk

xania 12:01 02 Sep 04

Hmm! That should work. I assume that you PC was FAT based, not NTFS. Try running FDISK, deleting the existing partitions and then recreating them. You will be forced to reformat when you reboot.

At the same time, you might want to consider creating a smaller (Say 4 GB) primary partition for your operating system and hardware drivers any number of extended partitions to store, say, data, programs, games, etc. Unless you're with XP, you may find it useful to keep space free to store a copy of your installed OS, but you will need a partition manager for this.

Eric10 12:55 02 Sep 04

You may be using an early Win95 bootdisk that doesn't understand your new larger hard drive. Get a Win98SE bootdisk from click here and you'll find that it works okay.

Also as xania mentions, if your drive is formatted as NTFS then you can't format it directly from DOS. You need to use FDISK to delete the NON DOS partition and create a new FAT32 partition before you can format it. You are best advised to use a Win98SE boot disk for this also.

Micro-Man 13:14 02 Sep 04

You need to run these commands from the A:\ prompt. Then you can type format c: (or format C: /s if you want to add system files).

See click here for more details.

bobby-c 21:15 04 Sep 04

thanx guys
i have tried a win 98 se boot disk now the drive is not recognised i have even swapped the jumper and left it off still not recognised
any help thanx

R4 21:28 04 Sep 04

Try running Fdisk and create an active Partition or make the whole disk wn active partions then format

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced