Format new hard drive from Partition Magic

The Belarussian Mafia 15:13 03 Mar 04

I'm about to install a new HDD with Win98 2nd ed. I know about the patch available from Microsoft to enable FDISK to recognise disks above 64 GB click here;en-us;Q263044 but it occurs to me that this could get messy as I'd have to start upgrading FDISK from DOS before formatting my disk (-unfamiliar territory). Could I just run Partition Magic from floppies to format the new drive from scratch, then load Windows?

woodchip 15:28 03 Mar 04

Try starting With Partition Magic CD and new Hard Drive installed. But you need to get the Drive Recognized in the BIOS first and set the BIOS to boot from CD drive

xania 15:29 03 Mar 04

Whilst I don't think that running FDISK from DOS is so traumatic, I do agree with you that Partition Magic is a far better method. Your version should give you the ability to generate a 2-floppy disc set, with the first floppy providing a bootable DOS environment with CD and mouse access, and this will easily cope with formatting your new Hard Disk. Of course, using PM, oyu won't have to worry about formatting your entire HD before starting to use it, which will cut down the time it takes before you can start foing more exciting things.

The Belarussian Mafia 15:46 03 Mar 04

Woodchip: I've only got PM version 5.0; I think only later versions (designed for XP) will run from a CD. Xania: thanks, it sounds like PM is the best route after all.

woodchip 15:51 03 Mar 04

Then get someone to let you create the floppy disc set you can then do it all from floppy at Dos

The Belarussian Mafia 15:52 03 Mar 04

Woodchip: are you saying that BIOS will recognise disks above 64GB even when FDISK won't. I suppose it depend on my version of BIOS. If so, how do I find out what version I have? I've heard truly dire warnings about upgrading your BIOS, even though I took the risk and did it myself about three years ago...

woodchip 15:57 03 Mar 04

You are better just trying what I just said, you will not harm anything it ether works or it will not

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…