format needed.. please help

sammyb36 09:21 02 Dec 07

after managing to get on system restore in safe mode, i was still unable to restore to any point(tried 25 different dates)

my pc will not let me install any antivirus software(tried macafee and norton) so i think the only thing now is to format my c drive.

however it is asking me for the administrator password, which i dont know.

is there any other way i can format

please help

many thanks

sam

MAJ 09:23 02 Dec 07

How are you trying to format the drive? The password might be blank, just press Return.

sammyb36 09:25 02 Dec 07

i have the windows cd so trying to repair from that..

will try wot you suggest

thank you

johnnyrocker 09:25 02 Dec 07

are you able to do an on line scan such as housecall from trend micro or symantec etc?

johnny.

Pamy 09:44 02 Dec 07

If doing a repair with Windows XP disk, you do not have to format C: Aso the repair should keep all your progs and data, you will only have to update from microsoft. Do not use first repair, carry on as if you were going to install XP, then look for "R" to repair

sammyb36 09:47 02 Dec 07

hi pamy

thanks for your reply

have done wot you suggested but after pressing 'r' it just comes up with a c: prompt.

and i am stuck on wot to type in

any advice????

sammyb36 09:47 02 Dec 07

hi pamy

thanks for your reply

have done wot you suggested but after pressing 'r' it just comes up with a c: prompt.

and i am stuck on wot to type in

any advice????

Pamy 09:59 02 Dec 07

As I said in my first reply to you "Do not use first repair, carry on as if you were going to install XP, then look for "R" to repair"

MAJ 10:04 02 Dec 07
  sammyb36 10:10 02 Dec 07

thank you all. hopefully be back on later

sammyb36 11:06 02 Dec 07

hello again.

right carried out wot you suggested and followed instructions on that site.

however problem is still around, cant install any anti virus software or access certain programs.

my trouble is that i keep having to change some of my passwords.(ebay, hotmail)as someone keeps accessing them and i dont want my bank details going astray.

has anybody got any suggestions on how i can resolve this

many thanks

sam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009