Format HDD

Michendi 13:54 16 Feb 04

Hi, I have a laptop with W2K Professional. I want to reformat the HDD. As the OS is on this disk W2K won't allow it to be formatted. Neither will it allow a format using DOS. Anyone know how to get past this?

Gongoozler 14:06 16 Feb 04

If you have a floppy drive, you can format using that click here

hugh-265156 14:09 16 Feb 04

set your cd drive as the first boot device in the bios and then boot from your windows cdrom disk and follow instructions to set up.

if the OS came pre installed you should have a restore to factory settings floppy or master disks.similar to above but set floppy drive as first boot device,boot with floppy in the drive and follow instructions.

hugh-265156 14:12 16 Feb 04

be careful using fdisk on bootdisks if your OS was pre installed.

you do not want to format the disk or you will wipe the OS from the hidden partition with no way to recover it.

if you have a windows cdrom your fine.

Michendi 15:05 17 Feb 04

Tks for the advice. The system originally came with W98 installed. I upgraded to W2K and have the W2K UPGRADE CD. Booting from this CD does not seem to allow me to format the drive. It complains and won't let me go further. There is a hidden partition of about 150MB on the disk which defies all attempts to reveal what is on it.
The main issue is removeing the 2nd instance of Widows 2000. So far it has resisted every tool to remove it. If I can remove it then there will be no need to reformat the drive.

temp003 15:30 17 Feb 04

Then you should have answered the questions I and Michelle C asked you on this thread click here

Click Start, Run, type c:\boot.ini and press Enter.

Copy and paste the contents of the boot.ini file here. This is relevant to where your 2 copies are installed and how one of them can be removed.

Michendi 15:56 17 Feb 04

[boot loader]
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Gongoozler 20:35 17 Feb 04

If you really want to use the 60G drive in your computer, you can probably do so with a PCI IDE card. This product from Innovision looks like it should do the job click here, and at under £12 including postage from Ebuyer, you may consider it to be worth the risk of trying it anyway click here.

Gongoozler 20:36 17 Feb 04

Sorry Michendi, I posted that to the wrong thread.

temp003 01:50 18 Feb 04

When you start computer, you get 2 copies of w2k to select. The top one is the "default" one which is automatically highighted. The bottom one you need to press the Down Arrow on the keyboard to select.

Which one do you use and want to keep? If there's a copy which is working better, naturally keep that one.

The top copy is installed to the C:\WINNT directory, which is w2k's default directory. Usually when you install 2nd copy of w2k, the 2nd copy goes to the top and becomes the default OS. So the top copy is probably your recent addition.

The bottom copy is installed to the C:\WINDOWS folder. Unusual for w2k because usually it should be WINNT, but this may be because it was an upgrade from Windows 98. If you have been seeing the WINDOWS folder prior to your recent installation, then the bottom copy should be your old copy.

Open c:\boot.ini as before. Click File, Save AS and save the file somewhere else (other than C:\) as a backup copy. Exit Notepad.

Now to edit boot.ini. Open C:\boot.ini again.

If you want to KEEP the top copy (probably the new copy), just make one change to the boot.ini file. Delete the last line in the file that says:

multi(0)...\WINDOWS=.... /fastdetect

Click File, Save and exit Notepad. Then restart. You won't get a boot menu. Once in w2k, delete the folder C:\WINDOWS.

If you want to keep the bottom copy (probably your old copy), make 2 changes.

In the line that begins with the word "default", change WINNT to WINDOWS.

Then delete the second last line that says:

multi(0)...\WINNT=... /fastdetect

Click File, Save, exit Notepad. Restart. Once in w2k again, delete the folder C:\WINNT.

After making these changes, go to your C drive. Naturally you have a folder called C:\Program Files. What I want to know is whether you have another Program Files folder, maybe called Program Files.000 or something like that. If so, please report back.

Michendi 13:07 18 Feb 04

Many Thanks!! Your instructions were very clear and worked first time without any problems. The system is now running the way I want it - and more important I learnt something that I did not know. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…