format hard drive

tearingmyhairout 09:46 10 Dec 04

Hi

I want to completely wipe my hard drive and start again, (I don't even want to backup any files because there is nothing of any importance) It has Millenium on it, unfortunately this is the only OS I have to re-use!(I have XP on my two laptops, but that won't help me!) when I go to 'my computer' and right click the C drive and click on 'format' a window comes up saying 'windows cannot format this drive because it cotains files in use by windows' I'm not sure what this means or what to do?

Peter.

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 09:58 10 Dec 04

have a read click here

Before you do anything make sure you have all the updates for millenium on a CD It could well be that microsoft may have stopped any updates on their site so you would have to search in the catalogue for the update downloads you need for millenium As long as you have the original windows millenium you can format the Hdd. simply put your CD into your cdrom or cdrw start or restart your pc Windows should then go into install mode where you are immediately asked which Hdd you want to install your OS It should then ask you you if you wish to format the Hdd Just follow the instructions Then install your updates Then activate your OS reinstall all your mobo drivers etc and your firewall & antivirus programs

alan227 10:57 10 Dec 04

Make sure you have the CD set to boot as first device, this can be done in the BIOS.

Strawballs 00:48 11 Dec 04

or you can make a boot floppy from add remove programs in control panel then boot up with that in

User-312386 02:06 11 Dec 04

you have to re-format from a comamnd prompt outside windows with a boot disc

tearingmyhairout 16:48 11 Dec 04

Thanks to everyone

With a combination of everyone's help I have resolved the problem. I created a new boot floppy, typed in Format C:\s at the promt and managed to wipe the drive with no problem and reinstalled my OS.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…