anyone know what i type to format my hard drive at the a promt windows 98/xp

woodchip 22:39 08 May 04

Yes but which 98 or xp

woodchip 22:40 08 May 04

And what are you going to put on it

spudsniffer63uk 22:42 08 May 04

pent 3 might use xp or might use 98 not sure yet can only boot from floppy

woodchip 22:48 08 May 04

If you look in the BIOS it may start from a bootable CD you have to look at the BOOT DEVICES how they are set you can change these XP will work and Format a Drive If it will boot from Start from the CD you Have to set the BIOS as CD first boot device to try it.

For Win98 just start with the floppy start disc leave it till it gets to a:\> and type FORMAT C: so it look like this

a:\>format C: press enter when it stoped at the end you can just press enter you do not have to give a volume name

spudsniffer63uk 22:55 08 May 04

ok thanks 4 your help cant find how to change to boot from cd i have changed b4 but i cant find it on this pc thanks anyway

woodchip 22:58 08 May 04

When you start the comp you should see something like "TO ENTER SETUP PRESS DEL" or some other combination then if you get into the boot the help on navigating with keyboard is down the right corner of the screen normally

spudsniffer63uk 23:13 08 May 04

yes iv pressed del got into bios and had a good look about /just tryed to format 4 98 useing a tryed and trusted 98 floppy typed in format c: at promt and get message saying format termanated

woodchip 13:54 09 May 04

Then Run SCANDISK from A:\> then try format again you could also try FDISK/MBR to see if there is a problem the FDISK/MBR may put it right. other than that you may need to remove the partitions and create a new one

spudsniffer63uk 16:25 09 May 04

tryed fdisk tryed scan disk a and c no probs and dont have any partitions

woodchip 17:05 09 May 04

If you do not have a partition then you cannot format or load anything on it. You have to first create a partition then format it. then you can load a OS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…