Format Hard Drive

bob's 09:20 12 Mar 04

I had Linux and Windows installed on a hard drive and now i want to go with Windows alone on that drive and use a second hard drive for Linux.The problem is when i format the hard drive and try to install Windows 2000 the Linux boot loader is still present and when Windows 2000 reboots it stops with "Grub" on the screen.How do i get rid of the bootloader and how do i run both operating systems on different hard drives on the one Pc.
Thanks

Paranoid Android 10:15 12 Mar 04

Suggest you re-partition prior to re-formatting. This will remove all boot records and delete all data.

Regards

Marvin

bob's 11:26 12 Mar 04

Marvin,
Can you give me a an idea of the steps to take. Will i use fdisk or Partition Magic.
Bobs

Chegs ® 11:43 12 Mar 04

Try FDISK /MBR to remove the grubloader,by booting off a floppy bootable disk.

Chegs ® 11:46 12 Mar 04

Also,to create a dual boot of Linux,dont use RedHat,its missing the tools needed.click here

bob's 12:43 12 Mar 04

I have Suse Linux 9 and to say it is complicated is an understatement.Maybe when i get used of it i may think different.I will try all your suggestions later on and i will post back later.Thanks for all the help guys.
Magic

JerryJay 12:49 12 Mar 04

partition Magic which can run on two floppies.

bob's 16:32 12 Mar 04

As Chegs suggested i used Fdisk /Mbr and when i tried it it booted in Windows as before it was booting in Linux.I then deleted all partitions and formatted the drive and now i am installing Windows.The next part will be to set a master and a slave and hopefully get both working.I am grateful to you all for your helo and i am still open to suggestions as to how to get both working.
Bobs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…