Format Hard Disk

monkiheed 11:14 01 Apr 05

I recently tried to upgrade from XP home to XP pro. I took the opportunity to format the entire hard disk before putting pro on. I used the XP pro disk that dell provided and deleted ALL partitions and installed the new OS as normal. All went fine-ish. Now at boot-up I am presented with an option to boot pro (which it does successfully) or home (which it fails to load. Do I have two operating systems on the go at once? or is this another windows annoyance?

rawprawn 11:54 01 Apr 05

If it's a Dell machine that came loaded with XP Home in the first place. It will have a hidden partition that you cannot format using ordinary methods. I am not sure but I think that the discs that Dell provide take this into account and I think you should contact Dell for advice. I have a Dell 4300 and recently upgraded from Dell loaded XP Home to XP Pro, but I used a full XP Pro disc not the one that Dell would supply with an XP preloaded machine. I have had no problem at all with the full version of XP Pro.

rawprawn 11:54 01 Apr 05

If it's a Dell machine that came loaded with XP Home in the first place. It will have a hidden partition that you cannot format using ordinary methods. I am not sure but I think that the discs that Dell provide take this into account and I think you should contact Dell for advice. I have a Dell 4300 and recently upgraded from Dell loaded XP Home to XP Pro, but I used a full XP Pro disc not the one that Dell would supply with an XP preloaded machine. I have had no problem at all with the full version of XP Pro.

monkiheed 20:23 02 Apr 05

Thanks for the help rawprawn. You mentioned that you cannot delete the hidden partition using ordinary methods ... could you suggest any other methods/utilities (ideally free as i am a cheapskate) I could try?

the kopite 06:56 03 Apr 05

monkiheed I dont know if you resolved your problem but I had the same problem and the only way I could do it was a low level format using the disk makers utility (western digital disk wizard) this removed all traces of the previous os kopite

keith-236785 13:20 03 Apr 05

using partition magic you could remove the hidden partition, but that would cost.

i believe a prog called Ranish partiton managaer does the same thing and is free,

or you could try using fdisk to remove all partitions and start afresh but that would mean a total format of your system.

dan11 13:48 03 Apr 05

This may give you an insight as to why XP home will not boot. click here

You could try killdisk. click here

load it onto a floppy disk and boot the system up. It should show you all the drives, including A. You could try selecting the hidden drive ( if it shows ) and then format. The trouble may be that certain files for XP pro have been written to that active partition. You may be put in a position were your edition of XP pro will not boot.

Think carefully.

wobblymike 09:48 04 Apr 05

I have another option to suggest PROVIDING that your PC is not under warranty.

Identify the manufacturer of your HDD and obtain from their website a copy of their HDD utility for formatting. Assuming it is a Maxtor disc for example the utility is called Maxblast, it will format and partition your HDD in DOS rather than within windows and is, in my experience a superb tool. All the other maunufacturers use the same utility but call it different things. Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…